|
Description
|
Construction of this park began in 1950 following the enactment of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial City Construction Law and was completed in 1954. The Nakajima area, which became the park area, was one of the most prosperous areas of Hiroshima City from the end of the Edoperiod to the early Taisho period. The atomic bomb killed most Nakajima's inhabitants and left a charred stratum under the ground. Many important sites are located in the park including the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and affiliated buildings, designed by Kenzo Tange and other, and positioned along a single axis together with the Memorial Monument for Hiroshima, City of Peace (commonly known as the Cenotaph for the A-Bomb Victims), and the Atomic Bomb Dome (former Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall) and perpendicular to Peace Boulevard (commonly known as 100-Meters Road), with the Atomic Bomb Dome at the center of the park. Also located in the park in addition to the World Heritage Site registered Atomic Bomb Dome are other A-bombed structures such as Motoyasu Bridge, where the main pillar remains, and the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park Rest House (former Fuel Hall). In 2007, the park became the first postwar park to be designated as a National Place of Scenic Beauty. In addition to the main buildings of Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, which is designated as an Important Cultural Property, there are the Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims completed in 2002, and the Exhibit Facility for Atomic-Bombed Remnants opened in 2022 and displaying the remains of the former Nakajima area. Every year on August 6, the City of Hiroshima observes the Peace Memorial Ceremony (Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony) in front of the Cenotaph for the A-Bomb Victims, which houses the list of the atomic bomb victims. There are more than 60 cenotaphs and monuments scattered throughout the park and surrounding area, including the Atomic Bomb Memorial Mound and the Children’s Peace Monument : memorial events are held at various locations primarily around August 6.
|